Determining Lower Back Pain Causes and Options for Relief
Chronic back pain is a serious problem that affects millions of people. Not only is it painful, but it can hinder a person's life and stop them from doing things that they need or want to do. Lower back pain causes can be related to a number of areas including the spine, discs between the vertebrae, spinal cord and nerves and much more. Treatment for lower back pain causes will generally be determined by the exact cause of the pain. A doctor will need to diagnose the problem before any treatment can be done.
Common Causes of Lower Back Pain
- Lumbar strain- This type of strain will generally happen if injury is caused to the tendons, muscles or ligaments of the lower back. The stretching causes there to be small tears of different degrees in the tissues. This is one of the most common types of lower back pain causes.
- Nerve Irritation- Low back pain may also be caused by the nerves becoming irritated in the lumbar spine. It will get irritated through mechanical pressure from bones or tissues. Certain diseases may also cause the irritation of the lumbar spine to begin.
- Kidney Problems- Kidney infections, kidney stones and other problems affecting the kidneys can also result in lower back pain. This is usually diagnosed through either a urine analysis, x-ray images of the stomach or through the use of sound-wave tests.
- Tumors- Other lower back pain causes include tumors. They may be either malignant or benign. They can originate in the bone of the spine, the pelvis or the spinal cord. These can be detected through a number of tests including x-rays, bone scanning and MRIs.
Options for Relief from Lower Back Pain
For those that have back pain chronically, it can cause interruptions in their daily activities. If the pain is too much, there are some treatments that may help chronic lower back pain sufferers get some much needed relief
- Exercise therapy
- Cognitive-behavioral psychotherapy
- Spinal manipulation from a chiropractor, physical therapist of osteopath
- Massage therapy
- Progressive relaxation
Finding the right method of relief from lower back pain will be dependent on the cause itself. Anyone suffering from long term pain should consult their doctor to get their lower back pain causes identified. A doctor will be able to perform the necessary tests to determine the cause of the pain, how to treat it and hopefully prevent it from happening again.
Find Back Pain
Close To Home
Simply fill out the form
below to get started on
your road to recovery: